Friday 24 July 2015

Day 1

Day 1 completed.
We got up at 6am to give us plenty of time, with no rush.  At 7:30am we found our friend Andy erecting some bunting outside the front of our house, a great idea. 
Set off at just after 8am, with an excellent send off from Andy, Paul, Collette, Stuart and Charlotte.  We had to stop within the first mile, because a herd of cows was crossing the road.  A good video moment.
Andy cycled with us for about 7 miles, and of course my husband (super domestique) was with me all the time.
First loop went via Frodsham.  Thanks to Joe at Twelve 50 Bikes for signing my witness log. (My gearing is Thirty 26).
Second loop was via Alsager and thanks to Tim at Sideways Cycles for log signing.  Finished the loop at Rick Green Cycles in Handforth.  Yep, log signing again.
Oh, and it started raining after the first loop and it didn't stop all afternoon.
The witnessing of my attempt is very similar to what Billie Fleming had to do in 1938 when she set the year record.  It is very a manual, pen and paper operation.  Keeping the log book dry today was a challenge.
Third loop was fairly local.  First trip down the Alderley Edge Bypass, and it won't be the last.
134 miles done today.  I'm feeling OK, but I do have another 29 days to go.   The reality of what I have to do has sunk in.
Well, it rained a lot.  One of the rules of my attempt is that I cannot slip-stream.  So, my husband was following me all day.  The evidence is there that I did no slip-streaming.  Steve finished up covered in muck, I was spotless.







No comments:

Post a Comment