Thursday 30 July 2015

The Rules



Apart from the need to collect evidence to authenticate my record that I described in a previous blog, there are a few rules that Guinness require me to comply with.  Some are obvious others less so.
I am not allowed to slipstream or get any other physical aid from anyone else.  This is pretty obvious when you think about it.  I could simply have a team of ‘lead cyclists’ and sit on their back wheel all day.  Slipstreaming requires about 20% less effort than being the lead cyclist.  It is the reason breakaways in bike races such as the Tour succeed so rarely.  So when I am riding with my super domestique he is hardly putting in any effort and I am doing all the work.
I have to start and finish the event at the same height.  In other words I can’t go to the top of a mountain every morning and coast down for 20km or so, and repeat this numerous times in the day and every day.  For me this really means I have to start and end the ride at home to avoid getting caught out with an overall net downhill ride.
I have to use the same bike throughout the attempt.  I can only change bikes if I provide photographic and video evidence that the bike is not rideable.  I can replace components on the bike at any stage, so this really means using the same frame.  I must admit I am not too sure of the reason for this, but who am I to argue?
I have to get the written authority from Guinness in advance if I intend to get sponsorship or provide advertising for any other alcoholic brand.  Obvious really!

No comments:

Post a Comment