Sunday 26 July 2015

Day 3

The weather was lovely when we set off.  However, we knew from the forecast that the weather would deteriorate during the day and it did.  It gradually got windier and wetter.  I couldn't make my mind up which was worse. 
 It started raining properly after we'd done about 25 miles.  It didn't seem too bad, so we did an extra loop through Siddington in order to add a few more miles before lunch.  The rain got heavier and heavier, and we got colder and colder.  By the time we headed home for lunch neither of us could feel our hands and toes.  At home for lunch, all clothing was immediately removed and placed in the washing machine.  Comfort food of baked beans was eaten, and clean clothes were put on. 
The second loop of Middlewich and Sandbach wasn't as wet, but I was still cycling depressingly slowly because of the wind. I think that today I was wearing more than when I went cycling in the first week of January!  I nearly put on my skiing gloves in the afternoon.
No bikes shops are open on Sundays, so I had to find other helpful people to sign my log book.  Thanks to Ryan in Sainsburys in Alsager and Serkon in the Black Bear in Sandbach.  We also met a lovely couple outside the pub in Sandbach who were recent cycling converts.  It's great nowadays that so many more people are interested in cycling.
It was hard work today, but I still managed 121 miles, and 400 in the first three days.  I am really pleased to have done this many miles given the weather.  I must admit that my legs are starting to feel tired today.  Probably not surprising, hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow. Time for beer and bed.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Janet (and super domestique Steve). Not a good day to be out cycling, so to add 121 miles to your tally was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Warren27 July 2015 at 09:52

    An impressive start Janet (and Steve)! especially considering the fabulous summer weather over the past few days! Should be sunny by Wednesday I believe......

    ReplyDelete