Tuesday 28 July 2015

What evidence do I have to collect?



A surprising amount!  In some ways it isn’t so surprising that Guinness who administer the world records take this seriously.  After all, the whole world record concept would lose credibility if it was possible to cheat.  The main evidence I have to provide is a file containing my route downloaded from my Garmin (cycling GPS) and converted into a standard file format.  This is absolutely essential, so to ensure I can comply with this I take with me a second Garmin and have access to a third at home if one of the two Garmins fail.  This proves where the GPS has been, but this could be me being driven round in a car!  To be certain I am cycling I provide video and photographic evidence of me with my bike from various points on the route such as town signs.  I also have to keep an old fashioned paper log in which people I meet on the way sign to confirm they have seen me cycling.  This is why you will see from previous blogs I am referencing various bike shops and other businesses I have visited.  I video all of these encounters, to provide confirmatory evidence.  I have also got kind neighbours who are videoing/photographing me setting off and returning every day.
I have to compile my own log of where I have been and who I have met so that if questioned I can personally substantiate where I have been and who I have met on every day.  This needs to be absolutely consistent with all my other records.
It all takes me about an hour every night to compile the daily evidence and load it onto Dropbox, then do another backup.  This allows my two independent scrutineers to check the evidence.  At the end of the ride they will need to confirm the authenticity of my record claim.  Everything then gets submitted to Guinness who will conduct their own review of the evidence for the record, checking that I have complied with the rules (more on that in a later blog) and the evidence backs up the record claim.  This review is likely to take a few months, and no doubt they will contact some of the people who have signed my logbook.
Whilst compiling the evidence is a chore, especially when I would prefer to be cycling or sleeping, I am pleased this is taken seriously.  I must admit to a little paranoia about failing to collect sufficient evidence or forgetting to switch on my Garmin when I set off.  I think the greatest risk of me having an accident at the moment is when I'm videoing myself whilst I'm cycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment