Sunday 2 August 2015

Routines (1)



Routines
I am now ten days into the challenge, one third complete.  I have now established the routines I need to get me through with the minimum of effort.  In some respects developing these routines is similar to my job in operational research.  My constraints: I need at least 6.5 hours sleep, 7 preferably, and need to maximise the time on the bike which should maximise my mileage.  This means optimising my morning, lunch and evening routines.  Having set routines will also reduce the chance of me making mistakes – there are so many things to think about, it would be easy to do.
My Morning Routine
The alarm goes off at 6:00am and I snooze for a few minutes.  I get up and microwave the porridge that has been soaking overnight.  I get washed and put on my cycling kit.  I take my vitamin supplements, have some juice and my porridge, banana and honey and tea.  While I am eating I check the weather forecast hasn’t changed.  I then do about 10-20 minutes of exercises designed by my physio to help with back pain and sore neck and shoulders.  I also stick a load of wires onto my thighs and turn on the Compex machine for an 8 minute warm-up (electronic muscle stimulator).
I get the bike out, checking the tyre pressures and fill my food bag with food for the ride.  I fill my water bottles with either squash or Isostar Powertabs.  I have already put out all of my cycling equipment (gloves, shoes and helmet, sunglasses etc.) the night before.  I do my morning video diary and then connect my bike computers and video to the bike.
Once I am ready to go I sit down and have another cup of tea and check I know my first route as this avoids map stops while cycling.  I apply my Vaseline and then I go through my leaving checklist to make sure I have everything I need for the morning.  As I leave I call in on my neighbours – Stuart, Collette and their young daughter Charlotte, who video and photograph me as I leave. 
On most days I will leave the house by around 7:30am for my first loop.  I could get out quicker if I have to, but this is the only relaxed time I get during the day.
This is an adaption of the routine I have had on every long weekend ride for many years – most of it is second nature for me and I know it gets me started on the bike ready for the exertions of the day.
Other routines later...

No comments:

Post a Comment